Thanks for dropping by............

Hi Insurance Agents,

Welcome to my Blog. I'm excited to be offering tips and ideas that have helped me through the years selling insurance. Here you will find articles, strategies and recommendations on increasing your productivity in the insurance industry.



In the eight years I have worked in the Insurance industry, I have been fortunate to work with many top producers that have shared successful ideas from which I have been able to form some practical strategies.



The tips that I will offer here will keep you increasing productivity and income.



Please check back weekly, as I will be adding articles and tips to increase your bottom line.

Cheers,

Ethan Selph


Wednesday, September 1, 2010

What strategies should I use when just starting to sell insurance?

Dear Ethan,


I can't tell you how much your information and your videos has helped me.

We had a family construction business but there has been no work for over two years. We were unable to find anything to bring income even though we tried everything we could think of. We were slowly liquidating practically everything we owned and exhausting savings and credit cards and family assistance. We were desperate to find an income!

I am very new now in insurance - just passed the exam and am very green. I was never in insurance industry prior to April, 2010. In fact, I hated even reading my policy and rarely did! What got me hooked was that I could help educate people about insurance and help them get better plans AND make an income. I figured I could learn it but several times I thought "What was I thinking???" But so far so good. People like you have been very helpful and inspiring.

I worried about health care reform but no good in worrying. I like your Phil Jackson idea - take it a day at a time. Focus on now and hurry up and get it done now. (he used to be our Chicago Bulls coach although I'm in Indiana). Sorry to go on - here are my Qs:-

Can you import the client info into Quickbooks from Mojo or Quotit or Norvax?  All of those systems will allow you to export that information into an excel file and then you can upload that into Quickbooks. If your reports are in a pdf you can use www.able2extract.com. The link is http://www.investintech.com/prod_downloadsa2e.htm.

What do you feel is a good salary to pay an assistant, how many do you have, and how many hours do they work?

I don't have any assitants at this time. I have felt that by the time you get an office and a couple people helping you it eats away at your margins so much that it isn't worth it. I moved back into my home from my office two months ago and I like it much better. If you need help with a technical project or something you can always call a temp service and they can have an employee meet you at a Kinkos or something. That is what I usually do if I need some sort of project done. I wanted to build a huge agency in the past but I really like my lifestyle of coming and going when I want and seeing my 2 year old lots while working from home. I have tried pretty much everything in this business and I prefer it this way but maybe it will change in a year or so.

Why do you have to work every day if you are just mainly working aged leads? I don't have to work everyday and I don't always but I work and play hard. Last week was the Bahamas and then next week I am taking a 7 day backpacking trip through Yellowstone! Besides.........I am only 37 years old. I have my prime earning years ahead of me and I need to work to keep up with Obamas tax increases that are coming.

Do you send teaser emails before you contact NEW prospects,too, or just renewals and not interested? I was unclear about that. If I were working new leads (which I am not anymore) I would send them an introduction email explaining what I do along with a phone call. If I don't make contact I would send a follow up email 4-6 days later and then from then on I would double the amount of time I am sending out emails. So on the third batch I would send out an email 8-12 days later and then 16-24 days after that and so on.


Do you have a script to suggest to start with these aged leads (but new to me, not renewals or Not Interested leads). There are several videos on this blog that explain a script for new leads and if it is an aged leads you can visit one of my posts at http://biztartinsurancetips.blogspot.com/2010/05/how-to-call-not-interested-leads-or.html to find out more about this.



you have me excited to start! I am signing on for the auto dialer and then the stellar prospects leads.

Thank you!!!

Susan